Bedroom organization ideas are plenty, and there are not one but hundreds of ways in which you can optimize your room to look the very best.
- Organization can instantly enhance a bedroom’s appeal.
- Effective organization can give a bedroom a fresh makeover and keep items accessible.
- Good organization is key to make even small bedrooms feel more spacious.
- Our list of 38 bedroom organization ideas will help you declutter quickly and efficiently.
How to organize a bedroom with too much clutter?
We’ve all been there — opening your bedroom door and feeling like the walls are closing in with clutter. But fear not! Below is your game plan to turn that messy space into a serene oasis.
📦 Declutter Before Organizing
- Separate items into 3 boxes: Keep, Donate, Toss.
- Ask yourself: “Have I used this in the last year?” If the answer is no, it’s time to let it go.
👕 Clothes Come First
- Remove all clothing from closets and drawers.
- Sort into categories: Work, Leisure, Special Occasion, etc.
- Fold, hang or bin according to category.
🛏 Optimize Your Bed
- Use under-bed storage boxes for seasonal items or infrequently used stuff.
- Choose beds with built-in storage if possible.
- Depending on your bedroom, Murphy beds can save a lot of space.
📚 Deal With Nightstand Nasties
- Only keep essentials on your nightstand: a good book, lamp, and alarm clock.
- Use small trays or dishes for tiny essentials: lip balm, and jewelry.
🚫 Banish Non-Bedroom Items
- Keep kitchen items in the kitchen, office supplies in the office.
- Bedrooms are for rest and relaxation, not for storing random stuff.
📖 Books, Magazines, and Papers
- Keep a limited number of your favorite reads.
- Use files or magazine racks to organize magazines and papers.
- Recycle old papers and magazines regularly.
💡 Maximize Vertical Space
- Install floating shelves.
- Use over-the-door organizers.
- Consider tall dressers instead of wide ones.
🎈 Focus on the Little Things
- Use drawer organizers for smaller items.
- Keep a jewelry box or organizer for baubles.
- Store shoes in clear boxes or over-the-door organizers.
✨ Remember the Final Touches
- Add soft lighting to create a relaxing atmosphere.
- Introduce calming colors and textures.
- Celebrate with a small bedroom plant or your favorite scented candle.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bedroom Organization
What are the best ways to organize your bedroom?
The best ways to organize your bedroom include setting clear zones (e.g., sleeping, dressing, and reading), utilizing storage solutions like under-bed boxes or over-the-door hangers, keeping frequently used items within easy reach, and maintaining a regular decluttering routine.
How to reduce clutter in the bedroom?
To reduce clutter in the bedroom, regularly purge items you no longer need, utilize storage solutions like shelves and bins, and adopt a "one in, one out" rule: when you bring a new item in, remove an old one.
How to start bedroom decluttering when feeling overwhelmed?
If you're overwhelmed with bedroom decluttering, start small. Pick a single drawer, corner, or category of items, and focus only on that. Celebrate each success to build momentum and gradually tackle larger areas.
Where do you start organizing your bedroom?
When organizing your bedroom, begin with the most cluttered or frequently used areas. This often includes the bed, bedside table, or wardrobe. By starting here, you'll see instant progress and gain the motivation to continue.
What is the 4 box method of decluttering?
The 4 box method of decluttering involves sorting items into four categories or boxes: keep, donate, trash, and relocate. This method simplifies the decision-making process and ensures each item has a designated place or purpose.