DIY backyard pond ideas can run the gamut from simple container water gardens to elaborate man-made lakes. People and wildlife alike enjoy ponds, and even a relatively small water feature can bring life, sound, and beauty to your home. But before you start digging, there are a few things you should ponder before building your pond.
18 Simple DIY Backyard Pond Ideas to Try This Summer
Your climate, local soil, and commitment level will determine the size and type of pond you can maintain. Residents of the desert Southwest may want to consider a small container water feature to conserve limited water resources while people in wetter climates may find an in-ground pond easier to fill and clean. If you would like to have either fish or plants in your pond, learn about their specific needs and how much space they will require when fully grown before building your pond.
You should also keep in mind that, while many ponds are relatively low maintenance, new ponds, ponds with fish, and small container features will need constant observation and care to keep them healthy and looking their best.
If you’ve been considering adding a water feature to your garden, but aren’t sure where to start, the 18 DIY backyard pond ideas below are creative examples of what you can achieve.
1. Simple Pre-Formed Pond with Waterfall
2. DIY Recycled Tractor Tire Water Feature
3. DIY Backyard Pond Ideas for Small Spaces
4. Beautiful Planted Zen Container Pond
5. Inexpensive Rock Lined Tire Pond
6. Small Free-Form DIY Backyard Pond
7. Modern Rectangular Pond with Mini Deck
8. Easy DIY Backyard Pond Ideas
9. Contemporary Backyard Rectangular Water Feature
10. Ecological DIY Linerless Natural Pond
11. Sleek Galvanized Water Trough Pond
12. DIY Backyard Waterfall on a Budget
13. Weekend Pond Project for Novices
14. Large Backyard Flagstone Waterfall Feature
15. Hand Dug Garden Fish Pond
16. Multi-Basin Recycled Tire Water Feature
17. Tiny DIY Container Water Garden
18. Easy to Build DIY Pondless Fountain